It is our pleasure to present you with Zowie‘s latest mix tape ‘Bad-Ass Bitch.’ On the delightful 30-minute mix she fuses together a range of female artists who delight us with their feisty attitudes and killer tracks.
She takes us back with some vintage TLC, adds fresh cuts from the likes of Rihanna and Azealia Banks, and drops in the divine The Slips remix of her own feisty single ‘Smash It.’ Get your Monday started off right and grab this fine salute to some of the most Bad-Ass Bitches in the game!
These female artists are all full of sass and intelligence and I admire each of them for different reasons. There is a dirty hip hop vibe to this mix tape which was inspired by releasing our free hip hop nasty track ‘You Did The NONO’ a couple of weeks ago and opening for Nicki Minaj on the same night! We wanted each track to flow in a way where it sounded like the song before was part of the next song rather than a stop start tape.
1. M.I.A – XR2
2. Kid Sister – Right Hand High
3. Rihanna – Cockiness
4. Azealia Banks – 212 (feat Lazt Jay)
5. Zowie – Smash It (The Slips Remix)
6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Gold Lion (Nick Zinner Remix)
7. Peaches – Billionaire
8. Rihanna – Fresh Off The Runway
9. TLC – Silly Ho
Check out my first in a series of mashups ‘Down Like’ a mix of PLEZIER‘s 90s house tinged ‘Plezier Anthem’ with bits of Madonna‘s ‘Rain.’ They blend so seamlessly together, i’d like to think of it as ‘hypnotically soothing.’ Enjoy!
Remember when I promised a very special surprise? Below is a video I made to accompany the track, featuring vintage footage from ‘The Making of Sex.’
Despite spending his nights busy having a Kiki with the ScissorSisters, the wonderfully talented Rod Thomas aka. Bright Light Bright Light took the time to whip up ‘Tough Love’ for our Hard Candy X mixtape series.
It straight up pop on ‘Tough Love,’ a trip back to an endless collection of classics seamlessly woven into some of our newest favorites. Standout moments include Kylie‘s ‘Slow‘ vs. Kindness ‘That’s Alright,’ and re-imaginations of Crystal Waters, Pet Shop Boys, Madonna, Kelis and Lana Del Rey – just to name a few. It’s delicious! Take the journey below…
Included on the mix is his latest single, the energetic ‘Feel It‘ infuses the heart of 90′s house (think Sonique‘s ‘It Feels So Good’ meets Aretha Franklin‘s ‘A Deeper Love,’) with a fresh, infectious chorus. The video for ‘Feel It’ finds Thomas on a romp through NYC with Scissor Sisters own Del Marquis. One of the standout tracks on the very diverse new albumMake Me Believe In Hope, out on iTunes now – we highly recommend you check it out.
1. Shawn Christopher – Don’t Lose The Magic / Kelis & Calvin Harris – Bounce
2. Lady Gaga vs Madonna – Deeper Telephone [Bright Light Bright Light Bootleg]
3. Crystal Waters – 100% Pure Love
4. Bright Light Bright Light – Feel It
5. The Beloved – Your Love Takes Me Higher
6. Kylie – What Do I Have To Do?
7. Alison Limerick – Where Love Lives [Classic Mix] / Pet Shop Boys – What Have I Done To Deserve This?
8. Kindness – That’s Alright / Kylie – Slow
9. Golden Girls – Kinetic / The Source – You Got The Love / Cher – Believe
10. Rui Da Silva – Touch Me
11. Elton John vs PNAU – Phoenix / Bright Light Bright Light – Moves
12. Delorean – Endless Sunset
13. Casiokids – Golden Years
14. BT – Loving You More
15. Shy Child – Disconnected
16. Lana Del Rey vs Madonna – Lana Del Rey Of Light [Bright Light Bright Light Bootleg]
With a plethora of atmospheric synth tracks to his name, Canada’s Teen Daze is one of the most interesting producers to emerge in recent years. After being impressed greatly with his set at Webster Hall during CMJ, we decided there was no better time to tap him for an exclusive Hard Candy mix!
We couldn’t be more excited about the outcome of the latest in the Hard Candy X series. It’s a selection of tracks that Jamison says have inspired the new LP ‘‘The Inner Mansions,’ due for release on November 6th, they are seamlessly blended into a dreamy hour-long mix that’s quite simply an aural pleasure.
Make sure you pick up the new album when it’s released on November 6th and follow Teen Daze on Facebook and Twitter. You should also keep your eyes on Hard Candy for all the news and more exclusive Hard Candy X mixes.
Four Tet – Sing
Tycho – Coastal Brake
Squarepusher – Iambic 9 Poetry
Bibio – Saint Christopher
Boards Of Canada – Satellite Anthem Icarus
The Album Leaf – Streamside
JBM – Friends For Fireworks
Sigur Ros – Heysatan (Heim Version)
How To Dress Well – Ocean Floor For Everything
Julianna Barwick – The Magic Place
Brian Eno – Weightless
Geotic – The Sprawling, Glorious Newness
My Bloody Valentine – Sometimes
I’m so excited to present you with our latest mix tape in the Hard Candy X series, this one by Moon Boots! We asked him to create this mix after his first two releases‘Off My Mind’ and ‘Got Somebody.’ On ‘Sugar’ he transformed Janet Jackson‘s ‘If’ into a twinkling r&b tinged disco affair. It’s been a great year of releases from theFrench Express imprint. A great year.
We’re honored to host his debut mixtape, which includes many tracks we’ve shared on Hard Candy, and more of the latest indie dance gems. We asked him to tell us a bit about the mix, which he’s so expertly woven.
On this mix we will take a journey from your living room to the outer reaches of the solar system, the depths of the sea, and the heart of the jungle, all in the darkened warehouse of your imagination. Along the way we will rendezvous with my French Express comrades Perseus, Isaac Tichauer, Chris Malinchak, and Jonas Rathsman. Get ready to hear some unreleased tracks, familiar classics and (hopefully) new favorites…
Also known for his stunning remix work, his latest of ‘Peanut Butter’ by Alison Valentine introduces the set, and is available for free download right here. The set finishes off with ‘W4W’ – a brand new house piano jam from Jonas Rathsman.
1. Alison Valentine – Peanut Butter (Moon Boots Remix) 2. Jeremy Glenn – New Life (Perseus’ Summer of ’83 Remix) 3. Casco – Stop 4. Love for the Sake of House – Cole Medina 5. Moon Boots – Sugar 6. La Royale – The Crush 7. Onra – Keep On Loving Me 8. Sharam Jey – Ain’t Nuthin 9. Isaac Tichauer – Step Away 10. Den Ishu – High U Gonna Feel 11. Only Children – ?????? 12. Rhyze – Just How Sweet Is Your Love (Walker & Royce Retouch) 13. The Establishment – Love Like This 14. Chris Malinchak – If U Got It 15. Luke Solomon – Say Something (Ashley Beedle Live at Wash House Mix) 16. Chez Damier – Your Love 17. Mercury – Sweetness 18. Jonas Rathsman – W4W
Make sure to connect with Moon Boots on Twitter, Facebook and Soundcloud + check out previous features in the Hard Candy X series.
My Gold Mask have been hard at work in the studio over the last few months preparing for the release of ‘Leave Me Midnight’, their first full length album, due in early 2013. It’s our pleasure to premiere the first track, ‘In Our Babylon’ is a glorious haunting number with creepy melodic vocals that when mixed with the dark and textured instrumentation create a moody ambiance.
“Inspired in part by old horror movie soundtracks, “In Our Babylon” is a song that, for us, explores the slightly darker side of partying. We experimented with new sounds and tried to create a spacious and spooky place for the song to live. Jack and I like to recreate those darker feelings that sometimes get left behind in pop music. We invited Sanford Parker to mix our new record “Leave Me Midnight” and we think he helped “In Our Babylon” obtain a darker, heavy vibe.
The band is hitting the road on a mini tour staring next week, you should do your best to catch a show if they’ll be near you! We’ll be at Music Hall of Williamsburg, where will you be?
9/12 Grand Rapids, MI Pyramid Scheme
9/14 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall Of Williamsburg
9/16 Boston, MA Middle East
9/18 Pittsburgh, PA Rex Theater
9/19 Champaign, IL Canopy Club
9/20 Chicago, IL The Metro
We’re so excited to premiere the latest in our Hard Candy X mixtape series, this time with Jessica 6 keyboardist and producer extraordinairre ELIOT. On this mix, it’s an all out dance affair. I originally played it for the first time at a party I hosted on my rooftop in Brooklyn, and everyone was love-ing-it! The cover shot was taken the next day on my roof, as a huge storm approached the city: he’s coming soon!
Based in Greece, ELIOT has expertly woven together current and past favorites from the likes of Bjork, Brandy, Madonna, Donna Summer, Midnight Magic, Rogue Vogue, Chris Malinchak and Saint Etienne. A prime cut on this mix comes in the form of NA/JET, which we exclusively premiered the mp3 of a few weeks ago.
ELIOT is busy in the studio, currently working with Nomi Ruiz on tracks for the new Jessica 6 album. He’s hinted at a possible change in direction for their next set!
1. Matan Arkin – Dancer In the Dark
2. Kaine feat. Kathy Diamond – Love Saves The Day (Mario Basanovs Vocal Remake)
3. Doctor Dru Vs Brandy & Monica – The Voice Is Mine (ELIOT Edit)
4. ELIOT – Na/Jet
5. Isaac Tichauer – Doing What I Got
6. Chris Malinchak – These Dreams
7. Saint Etienne – I’ve Got Your Music (Golden Filter Remix)
8. Rogue Vogue – When I Looked At You
9. Madonna – Vogue (12”)
10. Scissor Sisters – Let’s Have A KiKi ( ELIOT Mix)
11. Scuola Furano – On Fire (303 Dub)
12. Donna Summer – I Feel Love ( Acid Mix )
13. Adamski – I Like It (ATTARI Remix)
14. Midnight Magic – Calling Out ( Jupiter Mix)
15. Tiga – You Gonna Want Me (12” Dance Remix)
16. The Egg – Catch (The C90s Remix)
17. Montevideo – Horses (Zimmer Remix)
18. Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs – Stronger (Flying Horse Disco Bootleg)